Saturday, July 9, 2011

Graffiti on Android

I am a long time Palm OS user and was pretty decent writing in Palm Graffiti. I downloaded Graffiti on Android onto my tablet yesterday and installed it. When the tablet is held in portrait mode, the Graffiti writing area is about twice the size as on my Palm device, so there is plenty of room to draw large letters, which improves accuracy. I wrote words with both my finger tip and the stylus; both do a good job. This version of Graffiti gives you immediate feedback - as you draw a letter, the shape you drew is displayed on the screen. This feature helps you to draw the letter shapes correctly and tells you what the tablet thinks you entered, as opposed to what you think you entered. As you print a word, a list of suggested words pops up. This appears to be a typical Android feature, but I found it to be annoying when entering text. Maybe I will get used to it over time. Drawing a line from the input area upwards into the display area brings up a Graffiti help screen for when you need to enter special characters (I have forgotten the Graffiti strokes for most of them). This version also recognizes some of the alternate Graffiti strokes for letters, such as drawing a 3 (in text area) instead of tracing the full letter B, and drawing a 6 in the text area instead of tracing a G. I believe this version uses Graffiti 1 as opposed to Graffiti 2. (Don't ask me the difference, because I have always written in Graffiti 1)!

Currently my speed at entering text is fastest with Graffiti and then about equal speed using Swype or the built in Android keyboard. I think as I practice, I will get faster with Swype, but I'm not sure if I will get as fast as using Graffiti.

I have been using Amazon Apps market to download most apps, since my tablet is not rooted and I do not have access to the full Android Market. The version of Graffiti I am using is free, but it has advertisements and I understand the tablet must be on line to use it. There is a 'pro' version which removes the ads and the on line requirement; it only costs $3. If I decide to stick with Graffiti, I will purchase the upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment